Monday, June 13, 2011

Some Bike Safety...Please!

Sorry for the hiatus. If you live in the eastern U.S., you know how hot it was last week. It was too hot for almost everything, even blogging, haha.

But, I'm back now, and I want to talk about something important, especially in the summer. Since I consider myself a bike commuter (and new cycling enthusiast), I have to say, some people are truly atrocious cyclists. So, here are my points for people looking to have a fun and safe biking experience, this summer and beyond.

1) Wear a helmet. Seriously. You wouldn't get in a car without wearing a seatbelt, so why would you ride a bike without a helmet? You're afraid of looking like a nerd? This isn't middle school, get over it. I see people biking morning and night, and I don't think anything about people wearing helmets, but the people who aren't wearing them, I think "WTF?" This is the single safest thing you can do while biking.

2) Don't listen to music.  Maybe this is just me, but as someone who rides in and out of traffic, and in crowded areas, I think it's important to be able to hear your surroundings. I'm trying to let you know that I'm going to pass you, and you're jamming to Train (yes, Train. Because I imagine that's what idiots listen to).

3) Hydrate. I made the (probably) dumb decision to bike a little bit extra after work last Wednesday when it was approximately 10,000 degrees and 200% humidity. That's what it felt like anyways. But, stupidly, I didn't bring a waterbottle with me. Obviously, this was a bad choice, and I was cramping within 15 minutes of starting. I know biking seems easier than running, but summer is still a time when heat can be dangerous.

4) Invest in extra safety equipment as necessary. If you ride at night or at dawn/dusk, get a headlight. As for me, I just bought a mirror and bell. I've been commuting now for a few weeks, and I realize that because of the volume of traffic and roads I ride on, I need more equipment to make my ride safe. Do what's right for you.

5) Finally, you are not Lance Armstrong. You are not training for the Tour de France. I understand if you want to bike for fitness and are a fast biker, but you need to share the path or road. Sometimes you might not be able to zoom around as quickly as you like. But, that's the price you have to pay. Share the road and we'll all be happy.

Ok, these are my bike safety suggestions. You should search your local government's website for more specific laws regarding cycling. Have a fun and safe summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment